Monday 17 September 2007

An Appointment with the Nurses Council

To work as a nurse tutor in Uganda you must register with the Nurses Council. Fair enough. Shouldn’t be a problem, I thought. I have more years than I care to mention of experience working in nurse education, pieces of paper from various universities, proof of my UK registration, and a recommendation from Kuluva School of Enrolled Comprehensive Nursing where I am expecting to work.

The necessary documentation duly delivered whilst in Kampala, we departed for Arua, 250 miles to the north. After all, nothing happens quickly in Africa.
But one week later, a phonecall. ‘You have an interview with the Nurses Council in Kampala. In two days time’ Ridiculous – £100 return by air, and the bus takes too long. But wise Ugandans said I should jump when they said jump.

Arrived in Kampala, the interview was not in two days time, but in three. They would need $10 to cover the cost of the interview – in dollars, not local currency. The Nurses Council had no physical address. No taxi driver was likely to be able to find it ……. The Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau arranged me a driver, eventually.

Arriving at the Council at 10am, none of the interviewing panel (how many were there to be??) had yet arrived. Ten or so other candidates gradually arrived. Those (most) who didn’t know about the $10 fee, had to go back into Kampala and change Ugandan shillings into US dollars – a traffic-laden journey that took about an hour. Benefiting from their unpreparedness, I was ushered into the first interview. The secretary indicated I should go outside and in again at the next door. She went through a connecting internal door. This is Uganda!

Seated behind a vast desk, I dimly saw the chairwoman of the panel at the far end of the room, the secretary at her left. One other member of the panel arrived halfway through my interview. They noted that I had failed to provide a transcript of the subjects I had studied in my initial nurse training (completed 1975). I was congratulated on my achievements since. It was ‘beautiful’ that I was coming to Uganda for three years. However, I must complete one month’s observation at a hospital in Kampala before being fully registered. Argument on my part that I could do this in Arua was met with passive resistance.

My British pride a little wounded, I reminded myself that I am a guest in a country that may seem to be slow and inefficient, but does have some appropriate regulation of nursing, with which I need to comply.

8 comments:

Jo Lacey said...

This sounds like a nightmare! Have you had to go there without dad? How rude of them to split you up...seems you're much more humble in this than I'd be (I'd have probably been in tears within minutes!) Are you going to have to do the training in Kampala then?
I have to remind myself that you are,indeed, visitors to Uganda and not simply that you are the best thing in the world that could have been given to them!
Will be praying that things go a little more easily for the next few days.
Missing you very much,
Lots of love,
Jo xx

Anna J said...

Nothing like a bit of bureaucracy to make it feel like a real adventure. It all sounds very frustrating, but as you say, at least it's properly regulated.

By the way, I've recently joined a new church and have joined the home group which focuses on supporting people working overseas. I've asked that we include you both in our prayers so we've been praying for good humour and useful friends for you!

All the best
Anna

stmichaels said...

Sounds a lot of fuss it must be very frustrating for you (not to mention costly). Hope it is sorted soon.

Jacqui says it must be a nightmare. Hope it's sorted soon. My family are really enjoying the blogs but having a problem logging on.

Ken W. is stood at my shoulder he will email you soon.

Love
Ann, Jacqui & Ken

Jan Foden said...

Anne, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. It must have been awful - and I'm sure will continue to feel so, until it's resolved.

It all seems so ludicrous and unnecessary - but I suppose it's all part of the reality of living in a different culture. And that must be one of the hardest things about faithfully following where God is leading you in the world.

I pray that, as well as giving you the personal strength you need to cope with this particular hurdle, God will provide you with the people around you who will be able to give you the practical help you'll need.

With our love
Jan and Ken

Goldmohur said...

You are behaving with commendable restraint, Anne. Keep smiling!

Hilary Perry said...

Just caught up with the blogs. It's great to be able to read your news like this. So sorry you've had such a brush with bureaucracy, Anne. It seems you've been remarkably patient. As Jo says, do you really have to do the month's observation? I'll be praying about that. I've just passed on your blog addy to Will and Jane.

Much love

Hilary

St Mary's Denham said...

Dear Allan and Anne,

Greetings from St Mary's Church Denham. Lovely to hear your news - this blog is a great way to keep up to date.

We are currently sitting in our house group and have been looking through the slides you sent and your first newsletter. We are sorry to hear about the latest news on your blog and will keep you in our prayers.

With our love and prayers,

Jean, Marion, Ruth, Shirley, Christine, Carlene, Stephanie & Richard.

Jess Savage said...

Hi Anne and Allen, Maggie and Jess here. Just heard about all the flooding across Africa and wanted to check that you and those around you aren't badly affected. The news here makes the flooding sound horrendous and our thoughts go out to all from East to West africa, as everywhere from Uganda to Ghana is afftected by the sounds of it. Take care and enjoy yourselves. Maggie and Jess